Solitude Reflection 2

       I spent an hour in solitude on Saturday, May 30, on an isolated hill close to my house. I took my Bible, a pencil, a notepad, and a bottle of water up with me, and I sat down for an hour to think. As I flipped through my Bible, I went to Romans and began rereading a few passages. In particular, I wanted to look through the prevalence of grace over religion, because I sometimes fall into the habit of behaving well for the sake of behaving well. I need to remind myself that I should be acting out of a real desire to obey God, and being alone really helps me to remember this fact. Without other people around to judge me, I find it much easier to reconcile with God and remember all that He has done for me.
      During this period of isolation, I also found it much easier to focus my mind on God. Last time, I kept getting distracted by people walking past or dust on the floor, or any number of trivial things. With nothing but the wind and insects for company on Saturday, I was able to "feel" my part in the world--my triviality, my solitude, and what a small cog I was. In all this, I was able to reaffirm my faith to God, because I was able to grasp how powerful He really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment