Submission

         Over the past week, I have spent four days in complete submission to others. Originally, I had wanted to keep up the good behavior for the entire seven-day period, but I only managed to remain totally submissive for four of those days. All in all, it was extremely difficult to stay a passive and subservient person, which I expected, and it did not feel beneficial to me as well, which I expected as well. However, what I did not anticipate was the enormous amount of opportunities I had to be a submissive person. Whether I was helping with the laundry, or throwing away trash I saw on the street, I found thousands of little services waiting to be completed, all of which I would have overlooked if I had a different mindset. Now that I have observed these events, I will begin to participate in them in everyday life, as a part of adapting servitude into my character.
         Evidently, I was not able to complete my goal of one week of submissiveness. I ended up missing the goal on three occasions, because I did not completely offer myself to the intended mission. Breaches of the norm included arguing with my sister, refusing a favor from my friends, and talking back to my parents. These events, among others, caused me to reevaluate how I behaved towards other people. Although I think of myself as a fairly well-mannered person, this exercise allowed me to see just how far off I am from being a true servant to others. I recognize that being submissive does not equal the total loss of opinion, but I definitely missed the mark on some of the days that I was meant to be a servant to others' desires.
        As I have seen that I am astronomically far from being a genuine servant to others, I will continue to try to embody this biblical trait for the next few months. More specifically, I will attempt to be completely submissive for two days every week until the next school year starts. At that point, I will reflect on how the experience went, and if I really was able to achieve my goal. Of course, that does not mean I will be too carefree with my behavior on the other days of the week; it simply means that I will be actively trying to make myself a better person on those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment